Sunday, April 3, 2011

Canfield Coaching - An Open Letter to Jack Canfield

This coming Wednesday marks the last of my scheduled coaching calls.  I was requested to post a Youtube video of my successes with this program but I deferred as I did not feel I had anything worthy of publicly talking about.  So instead I was asked to write a letter 'directly' to Jack Canfield about my experience.

An Open Letter to Jack Canfield

Dear Jack Canfield,

At the request of my coach, Gary Reid, I'm writing this open letter to you (open because it's posted on my blog) regarding my success with your coaching program.

First off, allow me to congratulate you on the outstanding success you have managed to achieve, you are a beckon of hope to us all.   Secondly, thank you for your tireless efforts to help others to achieve their own success.

As for the coaching program, when I started I assigned two determining factors to measure the success of the program.  1) That I had fundamentally and permanently altered my life for the better (so that I'm happy, healthy, wealthy and wise and helping others to achieve the same)  2) That the changes I had made would generate enough additional income to more than pay for the program.

At this point,  I have not made any additional income whatsoever, although I have set in motion some ventures that (hopefully) will enable that.  And while I have made some fundamental changes, I cannot conclude at this juncture about their permanence.  After all, I have been trying to make permanent change to my life (to start living the life I truly want) for almost twenty-five years now. I have had gradual improvement and periods of 'success' but not sustained success in that time.  In short, the jury is still out on if this program has been a net benefit or net loss.

I am in a better place mentally than I was at the start of this program.  I have made some new distinctions and formed new habits.  Gary and the coaches on the coach line have helped me to gain clarity on various issues.  I found the exercises helpful.  I have made various changes to my life.    I do intend to read the book again, listen to the CDs again, go through the exercises again, and continue to use the coach line on at least a weekly basis.

I have not made a measurable breakthrough in my life.  I have not achieved any new level of success (yet). I have not (yet) raise any additional income as a result of enrolling in this coaching program. I did not gain much in the way of meaningful new knowledge.   In fact, I almost always answered all my own questions (which Gary brilliantly lead me to).  I do see the value in that but consequently do not feel that I 'gained' much.   True, it's not so much about knowing, it's about actually doing.    Doing continues to be an ongoing struggle, some days are great, some not so great.

Particularly I continue to struggle with being organized, I struggle to remain focused, I struggle to remain driven. Despite all the goal setting, affirmations, reminders, etc. I can become complacent alarmingly quickly and am constantly engaged in a war with myself to break out of that mode.

If I sound less than optimistic, it is because there is some trepidation as to if this is going to be the breakthrough I've been looking for or just another false start.   Add to that some fear.  This is my last attempt.  This is my make-it-or-break-it year where I either break out of my limiting patterns and start living the life I want, or after 25 years of study, spending thousands on various success materials and programs and finally on this coaching, if I cannot make a significant difference in my life - then I will be forced to admit that either all this success thinking and Law of Attraction stuff is just hype or that I am simply beyond help.   By the end of this year I will either be living a life on my own terms, making income the way I want and on my way to living life the way I want, or I will stop wasting time and money trying to improve myself and meekly accept my life as a bored and uninspired civil servant, and find ways to distract myself from the drudgery of my life until it's finally over.

Yes, the program has helped, but the first quarter is over, my assigned coaching time is over.  The rest is up to me now.  That's not a comforting thought. I feel like the chick about to be pushed from the nest without any sense on if my wings are strong enough to enable me to fly.

Whatever answers you have for me are already in The Success Principles, in the exercises or available through the coaches.  I will continue to strive forward and endeavor to find them.  Continue to try to make Isagenix (which I started in part thanks to your recommendation) profitable, continue to try to make my writing profitable, look for new, more engaging work, find more enterprising and inspiring people to be around, continue to work on my relationship and life in general.

I am optimistic things will continue to improve and I will shed all the limiting  patterns that have plagued me for so long.  One thing is certain, I no longer take comfort from my comfort zone.  Anytime I find myself there, it is evermore a source of alarm.

I trust I'll be able to write back to you in another three months, with a far more progressive and positive report.

Yours Truly,

Preston Squire

NOTE:  This has become a very popular post (eclipsing all my other posts combined), and by requests has spawned two follow-ups see: Part II and Where I am Now

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How's it going now? Thanks for your candidness.

Preston Squire said...

That is a great question! To which, I feel, I must write another blog entry to do it justice:
http://prestonspathtoprosperity.blogspot.com/2011/10/open-letter-to-jack-canfield-pt-ii.html

Liza Lake said...

Preston, no coach can really teach you or give you anything that you don't already know because all the answers we seek are already within us. I have been helped by numerous coaches and guides and although they help me refocus and nudge me along, they are there to remind me of my divine connection to the power of the universe. All the answers we need are already within us and the moment we "know" that our dreams will manifest the seed is planted and it is just a matter of time. Stay in the knowing and it is bound to happen. It comes from within you and is yours for the claiming.

Preston Squire said...

Thanks Liza, really appreciate and agree with your comments.

I certainly found value with the coaches, however, I had much bigger breakthroughs when I made God my coach.

See my follow-up post: http://prestonspathtoprosperity.blogspot.com/2011/10/open-letter-to-jack-canfield-pt-ii.html